Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Good Friend Tells A Good Story

This evening a friend of mine text-ed me:

Friend: Yo let's have an iftar together
Me: Aite let's go

So we went to have an iftar together at a restaurant nearby. We ordered our meals and started to chit-chat. Because we haven't seen each other for a while, so we started to ask how was each others' life and what's up and all. After a few minutes, the meals were there and he, I shall say who has a nerdy look but very intelligent and smart brain, began to tell me a story - a beautiful story about Al-Kahf.

He didn't tell me about the detail, he just summarized it to me and that made me, who were very slow in understanding something, understood the story. About the impatient Zul-qarnain in getting knowledge from his guru, about Ya'juj Ma'juj and many other stories that were told in the surah.

All of the stories were told with very simple words using a daily conversation, which had my interest to ask more and more. I must say that I'm a bit lack of knowledge in Islamic history. This is because during my school time I had a problem in imagining the chronology of the events and I was always got confused with the long and repeated names being used over and over describing different people at different times. Basically I'm a slow learner, that's it. So by listening to a simple version, I get the pictures and yeah, I was amazed of the true fact about what's in the Al - Quran and what's in reality.

He also told me about hadiths. The one that really caught my interest was this hadith that says something about a dermatology disease called Kusta. 


According to Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, "keep away from the leper as you do from a lion"


And this good friend of mine version, using a simple explanation, was "Do you know there is a hadith about Lepra, that says when you see people suffering the disease, you got to run quickly as if you see a lion"


I thought that was sooooo funny as I was imagining walking on a street one day and suddenly a Lepra girl/boy walks by, my reaction would be scream as loud as I can, throw 2 or 3 stones at her/him before run as fast as I can without looking back. Really, that is what I'll do when I see a lion, won't you? And that is ridiculous, I can't just throw stones at random person, what did she/he do to me anyway? And it's not her/his fault getting the disease. Plus, people will think that I'm crazy for suddenly scream and run like hell. That's bloody funny to me.


Let me tell you a bit about kusta or Morbus Hansen or Leprosy ( I don't know what it is called in Bahasa Malaysia, pardon me that ). It's a chronic Mycobacterium leprae infection that affects most parts of our body including the peripheral nerves, upper respiratory tract, eyes, muscular, bones, and mostly the skin. It has many variety of symptoms depend on what form of the leprosy that a person has. It could be the enlargement of nerves, skin stiffness and dryness, and if it severe enough, the person would have this very unique face called leonine facies.


                             

                              


Ahah, I know, exactly like a lion face right? How can it be? I'll simplify it to this one picture:




So what really the hadith means is when you see a person suffers from Leprosy, you should try to get a distance from it, because you could get one too if you are not fit enough. And the way it says about lion, it is simply because the people who suffers from the disease has this unique face looks exactly like a lion. In text book they call it leonine facies.


It is known that Leprosy has been discovered by human 4000 BC but actually the hadith has known it way before that. I dropped my jaw listening to his story. That was impressive. That was beautiful. There are more beautiful stories can be found in Al - Quran and hadith, that we can relate to our real life. It's all in our faith, our determination to read, understand and relate to our daily life. And for me, honestly I have a difficulty in understanding the Al - Quran. I mean, I've tried to read the translation, but still I have a problem with the literature. I call it 1st degree poetry. It is too beautiful that my mind can't process it. ( ok, alasan. Fine I'm a very slow person. Guide me please )


It was very nice to have such conversation because I rarely got a chance to discuss about religion with anyone. Plus, I'm very choosy in talking this issue with because I'm afraid to be judged. After nearly 2 hours talking about Al - Quran and hadiths with 3 extra drinks we ordered, he ended our conversation by leaving me with something to be thinking of by saying something about the possibilities of the internet we are using today as the "Dajjal". Hmmm he got a point there, but it is up to one's mind to jugde it.

No comments: